Mac OS-style menubar as default

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Fri Jul 8 10:20:50 BST 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 03:15, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> You still haven't explained how moving the cursor 12 inches instead of 2
> inches makes the Mac OS X-style menubar more efficient.

I explained it in the very first message I made.... Because it uses
screen-borders and because they are always in the exact same location. You
don't have to be as careful in placing the cursor as you would have to with
several menubars. Since the menu is in the border of the screen, you can just
swing the pointer towards it, and you will propably be able to access the
menu. With several menubars, you simply can't do that. You have to be more
careful in placing the cursor since you can overshoot the menu. Also, the
location of the menubar would change and they would not be in a consistent
location. Sometimes they will be in the left, other time in the right.
Sometimes near the top of the screen, other time in the middle of the screen.

To sound more scientific: universal menubar takes advantage of Fitt's Law,
per-window menubars do not. And since the user can only access one app's
menubar at a time, showing all those menubars all the time is simply a waste
of space. Why not only show the one menubar that the user could actually use?