Kppp and radio modem question

Phil phil at spiderweb.com.au
Sat Jul 2 05:31:52 BST 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 03:03 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Phil wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I have a Maxon minimax MM-5500U EV-DO modem that I'm trying to setup.
> >
> > Running modprobe cdc-acm, with the modem connected to the USB port,
> > generates /dev/ttyACM0 but it isn't listed under Kppp's "device" tab. The
> > closest device is /dev/usb/ttyACM0.
>
> Did you try using: "/dev/usb/ttyACM0"?  This device, IIUC, is the same,
> it is just in a different directory.

Thanks for the reply James. Fortunately, I still have access to a landline,
for the next few days at least.

The root of the problem is that I cannot select the required modem device from
within Kppp.

/dev/usb/ttyACM0 is listed under Kppp's device tab but it doesn't actually
exist in the /dev/usb directory. /dev/ttyACM0 does exist in the /dev
directory but it's not listed under the device tab. To put this another way;
the device that I want to use is not listed and a device that doesn't exist
is listed.

I tried creating a link (ln -s  /dev/ttyACM0 modem2) but that didn't appear in
the device list either. ln -s  /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/usb/ttyACM0 appeared to
work; the terminal window indicated that the modem was ready but the modem
would not respond. Is this a link problem or something else?

According to quozl (http://www.quozl.net, I think it was) the MiniMax modem
does work under Linux, so I think I must still have a problem with my link or
Kppp.

--
Regards,
Phil.