Remote terminal?

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Mon Jan 24 01:44:50 GMT 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 18:42, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
> | Question: how does one set up a remote KDE desktop? Is there a HOWTO
> | somewhere?
>
> Keyword: X-Forwarding. You use a remote login screen (xdmcp), or plain
> X-Forwarding of a session.
>
> ssh -Y user at computer startkde

There are several ways to do this. You can use the builtin KDE Remote Desktop
application. This is a framebuffer application which allows you to remotely
control the _current_ desktop of the remote PC.

My preference is to start a new remote session. There is an option in Yast
(Suse 9.2) to "Allow remote graphical login". I have noted somewhere which
config files this actually changes. Once you do that, from the command line
of the remote PC you can do

X -query remotepc

and you should get the greeter for the remote PC. If you tell a little more
about your setup and what you are trying to do, I may be able to give you
more details.

Larry