what to put in /etc/hosts.allow?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Jan 18 15:43:16 GMT 2005

Larry Miller wrote:

> I cannot get the printer wizard to the final part and I cannot get the
> authentication to pass me. I found an entry is needed in /etc/hosts.allow,
> but what do you put there? I tried my username and I tried the name you must
> give the printer? I've run out of ideas, I know its a permissions problem
> but the manuals seem vague to me< any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your network includes:
192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.2 printer
192.168.1.3 machine1
192.168.1.4 machine2
192.168.1.5 machine3

Then in /etc/hosts.allow for machine1 put:
portmap: 192.168.1.4 , 192.168.1.5

Also, in /etc/hosts.deny you'll want:
portmap:ALL
--
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/