Serious Doofus in need of assistance

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jan 9 04:31:06 GMT 2005

ken lassey wrote:
> Jes Hall wrote:
>
>>> I was trying to make another 'start applications' pop up menu and
>>> managed to delete all of the sub menus from the main menu.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to fix this, maybe replace a file somewhere.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>

>> In recent versions of KDE, any customisations you make to your menu
>> are stored in $HOME/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu. If you
>> rename or delete this file, you should end up back with the default
>> system settings for your Kmenu
>> :)
>

> I have tried that.  As root I copied the applications-kmenuedit.menu
> from the roots .config/menus into the users dir.  after chmod and
> chown'ing it to the user I would view the file and it was the bad one.
>
> Currently the .config/menus folder is empty and no default menu still.

In should contain a sub-directory: "applications-merged" and a file:
"applications-kmenuedit.menu".  I don't know if it will work without
that file.  A blank file would be:

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
      "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">
<Menu>
</Menu>

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
If you screwed with the global menu you are going to have to reinstall
it in: /etc/xdg:

menus/
|-- applications-merged/
|   |-- applications-kmenuedit.menu
|   |-- kde-essential.menu
|   `-- kde-multimedia-music.menu
|-- applications.menu
|-- kde-information.menu
|-- kde-screensavers.menu
`-- kde-settings.menu

You might not have all of these, but I think that this is the standard
setup.  I presume that KDEBase installs this, but I'm not sure.

--
JRT