kmid

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Jan 8 14:22:14 GMT 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 03:25, Bob Stia wrote:
> On Thursday 06 January 2005 23:45, Andy Teijelo PĂ©rez wrote:

> > > I have never been able to play a midi file.  Now running SuSE 9.2
> > > on a x86_64 platform. (new install, new hardware, KDE 3.3.2, via on
> > > board sound chip)  I give this info because on the old system (SuSE
> > > 8.2, KDE 3.2, and a Soundblaster card) I could not either.
> > >
> > > I have Timidity also installed. Kmid opens and then I can load a
> > > file to play. Just sits there and does nothing. At least on the old
> > > system it acted as if it were playing but no sound came out.
> > >
> > > If I open Kmid in a terminal I get the message "no midi ports" when
> > > I try to open the file.
> > >
> > > Really hope somebody here has an answer for me.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Bob S.

Hi,

As far as I know,

- Kmid plays midi on MIDI hardware (keyboard, expander) via a midi output. If
Kmid says "no midi ports", then you either have none, or they are not
supported, or you have to find a driver/module and/or load it.

- Timidity++ plays midi using a software synth. To do this, you have to get
some "sound fonts" and instruct timidity to load them. You can get sound
fonts on the web (look for *.sf2 files) or on any Sound Blaster AWE/Live CD.

I could not get Kmid to run with Timidity - although I got it to work with an
AWE32 and it's wavetable. I play midi with timidity, using the basic
graphical interface (timidity -ia) but there are many interfaces available.

Here is my config file (on my machine it's /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg):

# Instrument configuration file for timidity
# $Id: timidity.cfg,v 1.5 2004/08/07 15:59:19 hmh Exp $

# You can change just about every option in TiMidity++ using
# This config file.  Please refer to the timidity.cfg(5) manpage
# for more details

## If you have a slow CPU, uncomment these:
#opt EFresamp=d  #disable resampling
#opt EFvlpf=d  #disable VLPF
#opt EFreverb=d  #disable reverb
opt EFchorus=d  #disable chorus
#opt EFdelay=d  #disable delay
#opt no-antialias #disable sample anti-aliasing
#opt EWPVSETOZ  #disable all Midi Controls
#opt p32a  #default to 32 voices with auto reduction
#opt s32kHz  #default sample frequency to 32kHz
#opt fast-decay  #fast decay notes

# By default, try to use the instrument patches from freepats:

#source /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg
#soundfont /data/sf/1812.sf2
#soundfont /data/sf/1812s.sf2
#soundfont /data/sf/2GMGSMT.sf2
#soundfont /data/sf/4GMGSMT.sf2
#soundfont /data/sf/8MBGMSFX.sf2
#soundfont /data/sf/Orchestral.sf2
#soundfont /data/sf/grandpiano.sf2
soundfont /data/sf/sYnerGiGS.sf2

Note that I have to edit this file to change the sound font .

Hope this helps,

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein