Menu font sizes

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Sun Jan 2 19:22:29 GMT 2005

David

All the fonts given by " * dpi: nn " is a bit mapped font. This one is made
for 96 x 96 pixels letter size. Do not remove them all, because these are
needed for your shell. If you remove them all, then your system shall be
broken, and you might have to do a total re-install; it won't even boot
without the x fonts.

Nimbus Sans L is a true type font.

The problem is that the applications look for a font that seems the nearest to
the specification. You may notice, for example, that some web sites give well
sized and nicely anti-aliased rendering, and others come up with tiny,
aliased text; and some are mixed (Amazon.com comes up mixed).  That is
because the browser is using the x.dip fonts. It should not. The same goes
for your menus and so on. It doesn't do that in Red Hat. It does in Mandrake
10.1 and apparently also in Gentoo. Well, I haven't been able to get my
Mandrake working correctly, so I went back to Red Hat (despite some other
problem with Fedora 2 which I now take to be the lesser of the evils).

I hope you have more luck than I did.

Benjamin