Menu font sizes

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Sun Jan 2 14:58:51 GMT 2005

Hello David

I have been working with the same problem. I have Mandrake 10.1 on one system,
and Red Hat Fedora 2 on another. The problem only appears in my Mandrake
distribution. I have discovered that some KDE applications (Konquorer) uses
the bit mapped fonts which are needed for some shell applications. I removed
these from my system, and Konquorer gave me very good anti-aliased
renderings. However, the entire system failed because the shell no longer
worked. I had to reinstall these fonts. As I said, this is not a problem on
Red Hat Fedora 2.

Here are some things you could try.
First:
Open KDE Control Center > Index > Appearance & Themes > Fonts
select anti-aliasing
Try changing the fonts you use. If the font does not show scalable sizes, or
only three or four sizes, it is a but mapped, not a ttf. ttf = true type
font. A true type font is defined with vector graphics, and is in principle
infinately scalable. Bit mapped fonts are little image files, and do not
scale very well, and anti-aliasing is usually not possible to implement. Some
graphics can make a kind of anti-aliasing by blurring the image, but the
result is not very satisfactory, and it is questionable whether this improves
the readability.
Second:
Open KDE Control Center > Index > Internet & Network > Web Browser > Fonts
Try changing these fonts. Make sure that you select ttf fonts.
Also, if you find that the font renderings are too small for you (this may be
a function of your monitor; I have 1600 x 1200 which creates this problem)
then you can also adjust the default font sizes here. This shall save you
having to use the Increase Font Size button of Ctrl + + keyboard shortcut.

Pardon me if I am saying things you already understand well. This is where I
am at. Indeed, I was not able to solve this problem in Mandrake 10.1, which
finally forced me to go back to my Red Hat distibution to do my work. Perhaps
you can get to the bottom of this. I think it is a bug in the Mandrake
distribution. The graphic user interface desktops should not use the bit
mapped fonts by default. I do not know enough to solve the problem.

I hope this has been helpful,

Benjamin Rossen
www.amiculus.com