Howto create a konqueror file property extension

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 26 01:37:58 GMT 2005

Rick Wagner wrote:
> I am trying to create my first add-on to konqueror.  Using existing service
> menu ".desktop" files, I was able to create a simple service menu to display
> the id3 tags of a MP3 file.
>
> Two problems: First I was able to make it an action. I think I would like to
> make it a preview, not action (action to me implies altering the file).
>
> Second, I would much rather it appear as a tab on the properties for the file.
>
> I looked at the KDE homepage, under "Develop".  I found guides for embedding
> applications into konqueror, but not a description of .desktop files, and
> creating menu items.
>
> So the questions are: Can I create a plug in for file properties?  And where
> is the documentation for .desktop files?

IIUC, a plugin for Konqueror needs to be an executable KPart program.
There is also a KPart to run Netscape PlugIns.

The actual documentation for Desktop files is here:

	http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec

Also, read existing files that are similar to what you want to do, to
see how it works.

--
JRT