where to set variables like PATH, CUPS_SERVER...

Andy Teijelo PĆ©rez espino at infomed.sld.cu
Tue Feb 15 04:39:41 GMT 2005

El Lunes, 14 de Febrero de 2005 12:25, gregor escribiĆ³:
> both are now set in /etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc, but that
> still does not solve the problem. i logged in and out and inside kde
> nothing changed, even after restarting gdm. do i even have to restart my
> computer? i'm using Debian/Sarge with KDE 3.3.2.

KDE won't see any changes in those files because its applications don't use
the shell, and it's bash who read those files.
All files matching with *.sh in ~/.kde/env/ will be sourced by startkde (which
kdm also calls) when it is run. There you should put your changes. I did
something like this, a file called ~/.kde/env/path.sh with the following
line:

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

That's all. Just learned in this very list.

Andy