where to set variables like PATH, CUPS_SERVER...

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 14 16:49:17 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 17:10, gregor wrote:
> hi,
>
> it may be a simple question, but i absolutely don't know where i have to
> set these variables. i set them in .bashrc, but kde still ignores them
> which leads to some problems, i.e. programs are not found. Some programs
> install their binary to /usr/local/kde/bin, but my $PATH (in KDE) does not
> include that directory. Strangely, the $PATH in an xterm or konsole does.
> I also have to set CUPS_SERVER somewhere to make my printer known to
> openoffice.org. but where?

Your terminals show the changes because the read more shell configuration
files. Well actually bash reads them when started as an interactive shell,
the bash running startkde isn't interactive.

If those variable should be set for more than one user, you should set them in
some global configuration file, for example /etc/profile or whatever your
distribution uses.

If it is single user only, it depends which version of KDE you are running.

Btw, also set KDEDIRS to include both KDE directories, the one where your
package manager installed base KDE and the one you install to.

For example if your distribution installs in /usr, KDEDIRS could look like
this
export KDEDIRS=/usr:/usr/local/kde

Cheers,
Kevin