Copying a DVD

Taylor Byrnes taylor.byrnes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 22:22:00 GMT 2005

How big is the disc? DVDs can reach 8.4 GB, or more space than you
have on that partition. On one of the tabs (I think options, but I
don't have access to k3b right now) you can specify where it should
store the image. If you have another partition/drive with more free
space (that you can write to) try putting it in there, by default k3b
puts the ISO in /tmp.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:52:40 -0500, Bob Stia <rnr at sanctum.com> wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2005 04:51, LeVA wrote:
> > 2005. február 11. 08:31,
> > Bob Stia <rnr at sanctum.com>
> >
> > -> kde at mail.kde.org,:
> > > Hello KDE people,
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I want to copy a game DVD as a backup.  I have one DVD
> > > player/recorder. I know I have to copy it to disc first as an iso
> > > image.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Hi Bob!
> >
> > With k3b, it is fairly simple to create an iso image from a dvd disc.
> > With the latest (0.11.20) k3b it is like that:
> >
> > - Tools / DVD / Copy DVD ...
> > - In the "Options" group box, check the "Only Create Image"
> > - Enter the path name where you want to save your image file.
> >
> > or, you can use the good old dd util:
> >
> > $ dd bs=2048 if=/dev/dvd of=/path/of/the/image/file
> >
> > Now that you have the iso file you wanted, simply burn out with k3b,
> > or with whatever you like.
> >
> > But be aware! Recent game dvds and cds have several protections. This
> > means that you can not play with your backup discs. You must the
> > original disc inserted, or else the game will refuse to start.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for replying. I had tried that during my many attempts at making
> an .iso in K3b.   Unfortunately each I time I try it I get a  "not
> enough space in tmp directory" message, and this is in a partition that
> has 7.3 gigs of free space.  (sigh ! ) I'm glad it works for you.  I
> just cannot get k3b to work properly for me.
>
> As far as the cli goes, I am not sure of the exact dd command to make
> an .iso.  Guess I will have to do some more man and how-to reading.
> Aggravating though, that when you have a tool that is supposed to do
> what you want, you must revert to the basics.
>
> Thanks anyway, and if you have any more suggestions they would certainly
> be welcomed,
>
> Bob S.
>
> PS I am running the 11.20 version.

Taylor Byrnes