Character sets in Konsole

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Feb 11 16:39:29 GMT 2005

Hans-Michael Stahl wrote:
> Christian Mueller wrote the following on 10.02.2005 22:28:
>
>> You could try the following (as a test): - Start a konsole - Type:
>> export LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
>> - Start a second konsole from that environment
>> - In that second one, start your app and see what you get
>

> How come that LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1 works at all? If I do a "locale -a"
> I only see (for Germany)
>
> de_DE
> de_DE at euro
> de_DE.utf8
>
> Can I find a description somewhere about the (changed) character set
> handling in kde/konsole?
>
> And also, if I do export LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1" somewhere in my
> .profile I never will see error messages in the local language, they
> always appear in English.
>
> And if I open a second shell in the same konsole for another user who
> did not set LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1" in his profile I get the utf-8
> message, e.g. like:
>
> locale: Das Verzeichnis »/usr/share/i18n/charmaps« der
> Zeichensatz-Definitionen kann nicht gelesen werden: Datei oder
> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
>
> It seems that character set handling in konsole is not implemented
> correctly.

If this works in Xterm and not in Konsole, it should be obvious that
your Xterm is somehow set for ISO-8859-1 encoding.  I would not say that
character encoding is not implemented correctly, I would say that
because KDE/Qt is supposed to support UniCode, that character encoding
is not directly implemented in Konsole.  It probably should be -- you
should be able to choose: View -> Set Encoding like you can in Kate.
You can add a WishList item at:

	http://bugs.kde.org/

So, what you can do is add an option to open a Konsole with ISO-8859-1
encoding.  You can do this with a short script:

	#! /bin/bash
	LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
	export LANG
	exec konsole --caption "ISO-8859-1"