Character sets in Konsole

Hans-Michael Stahl Hans-Michael.Stahl at condat.de
Fri Feb 11 09:15:17 GMT 2005

Christian Mueller wrote the following on 10.02.2005 22:28:

> It seems to me that the application produces iso-8859-1 characters
> that get (wrongly) reinterpreted as UTF-8 (see how the character
> following each umlaut is gobbled).

That's a valid explanation.

> And the app does not seem to honour the LANG variable since
> the above did not help.

The app is monolingual. But the same also happens when I simply display
a file (using cat, e.g.) containing iso-8859-1 or iso-8859-2 characters.
And it also happens with the error messages (i program with all kinds of
european languages), they all are display with an incorrect character
representation. I used to set LANG=de_DE or cs_CZ or no_NO.

> You could try the following (as a test):
> - Start a konsole
> - Type: export LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
> - Start a second konsole from that environment
> - In that second one, start your app and see what you get

That helped. It displays the special characters correctly in the forked
konsole. But I do no quite understand what is going on here :-(

Am I right the konsole starts up UTF-8 mode by default? And why does it
so, invalidating the display of all files I have in 8-bit character
sets? To prevent that, should I somewhere set 'export
LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1"' somewhere in my .profile?

--
With kind regards | Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Hans-Michael Stahl