Locking Virtual Desktops

Rick Wagner wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net
Wed Feb 9 18:58:04 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:16 am, Anshul wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > KDE3 (I think at least from 3.1 on) has an option in its unlock dialog to
> > allow starting new login on another X server.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> can you please give some details on how to run two X-servers at the same
> time?

You should have a file /etc/kde/kdm/Xservers symbolically linked
to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  This file should have one entry defining
display :0, which is your current default virtual screen.  Add additional
lines; I have in mine:

 :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
 :1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt08

The :0 is the original entry.  The :1 is one I added for a second display.
The "reserve" parameter defines an "on demand" startup; locking a KDE screen
will offer to start a new session.  If you remove the reserve, then the
second display will start with KDM.  The "vt08" tells says it will be on
virtual terminal 8 (i.e. ctrl-alt-F8).  I'm not sure why the second ":1", it
was in the example I was given, and just worked.  You can define more,
i.e. :2 on vt09, etc.

You probably need to restart KDM to get the change noticed.

HTH,
 --rick