kde-3.5.0 problem ?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Dec 28 16:36:36 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 11:55, Mehmet Fatih AKBULUT wrote:
> hi Nigel,
> yes u're right! i am using debian sarge as well. [and still have the
> problem.]
> and will be waiting for your method to overcome this dark background.
> regards,
> bye.

Hi Mehmet. Right. Mine's fixed, now we'll have a go at yours. Open up the
Konsole and su to root, open a text editor, gedit, kwrite, or something.
Then, filesystem/etc/kde3/kdm. The file you want to open is "backgroundrc" .
3 lines from the bottom of the file is the line.
Wallpaper=debian-kde_default.png
Change this line to.
Wallpaper=default_blue.jpg
Save the file, close the editor and CLI, and logout. Hopefully the background
will now be correct.

Thankfully I have more than one install of Debian Sarge, and got the info from
the backgroundrc file on one of the other installs.

BTW. In /etc/kde3/kdm is the file kdmrc. If you want to add root logins to kdm
you can change the line that is about 2/3rds of the way down the file, which
normally says.
AllowRootLogin=False
Just change False to True, and save it, and you will have the capability of
logging in as root. Please DO NOT run the desktop as root, other than if you
have a problem that might need logging in as root. Then make sure you are
offline, and off any network you may be on. Logging in to the desktop as root
is not to encouraged, but this option can quite often identify permissions
problems.

Let me know if the background at login is now ok. Nigel.