How to get greater resolution

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 25 15:12:05 GMT 2005

Jeff Dooley wrote:

>>Why use a virtual screen size that's larger than your highest resolution?
>>
>>Rick Knight
>>

>I've done this in the past, but not with KDE.

What you describe is available on all linux desktops and is the exact
affect achieved by the xorg.conf files as discussed.  When a virtual
screen is set in xorg.conf that is bigger than the selected display
resolution then a smooth panning desktop is what you get.
If you choose a virtual screen of 2048x1536 and a screen of 1024x768
then what you get is that big workspace with a window of 1024x768 that
smooth pans over it just like a game. The reason this is so smooth and
fast is that the size of the virtual screen is set in the video card
memory and is only limited by its size..

This is totally different to the multiple desktops in kde or gnome which
are a just a poor approximation done in the window manager and use the
mouse at the edge of the screen to switch to another virtual desktop and
therefore they dont pan like a game. Each has its own merits though; a
lot of people like their session to start up with  say 4 remote shells
on desk1, a browser email and msg on desk2 and office apps on desk 3 and
switch between them.

andrew