autologout without shutdown?

Markus Grabner grabner at icg.tu-graz.ac.at
Fri Dec 23 23:20:32 GMT 2005

Am Freitag, 23. Dezember 2005 23:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Friday 23 December 2005 21:34, Markus Grabner wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2005 13:39 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > > Maybe if ou configure KDM to not allow shutdown by normal users.
> >
> > Ok, thanks for the hint, then indeed the machine returns to the login
> > screen after the timeout. However, I still want to allow users to shut
> > down or reboot, I just want to prevent them from indefinitely locking a
> > machine. Is such a configuration possible with the autologout feature?
>
> I had a look at the code.
> The problem is in kdesktop_lock. It does a DCOP call to ksmserver's
> logout() function like this (using commandline DCOP syntax for
> demonstration):
>
> dcop ksmserver ksmsever logout 0 2 0
>
> where "2" unfortunately means "halt" :(
>
> In case you have the option of patching kdesktop_lock the code is in
> kdebase/kdesktop/lock/autologout.cc method logout.
>
> I'll check if there is a bug report for this and add one if there isn't
Thanks a lot for tracking this down, it would have taken me ages to identify
the source of the problem. So far I have been happy with just installing the
KDE binaries, but if I find some time, I will try to patch and recompile this
package.

	Kind regards & Merry Christmas,
		Markus

--
Markus Grabner - Computer Graphics and Vision
Graz University of Technology, Inffeldgasse 16/II, 8010 Graz, Austria