How to get greater resolution

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Thu Dec 15 15:05:38 GMT 2005

 said...
> Richard Fish <bigfish at asmallpond.org> writes:
>
> > Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  Most likely the higher resolution
> > modes are being rejected, and you can look there to see why.
>
> The longer I look there the more confused I get.  It says it is
> rejecting the higher res due to hsync out of range.  But I can't tell
> what it is using for refresh rate.

'Pure' Debian is rather poor at sorting out screen res'; at least, at
the moment. However, the likes of Knoppix and (K)Ubuntu seem to nail it
every time. When things go wrong for me, I boot with Knoppix and use the
settings that it generates.

> I made a few changes and found out it will accept a much larger
> virtual size .. now using 2048x1536.   So I have the nice big desktop
> to flop around on and it seems to be accepting some of the res I
> selected out of the log files listing as default for various refresh
> rates.

It's very much worth nailing down the hardware refresh rates from your
monitor's manufacturer. For example, my laptop's screen runs at 75Hz,
although most detection routines want to limit it to 60Hz. Those extra
15Hz make quite a difference.

--
Best,
Marc