Getting KDE to refresh menus

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Thu Dec 15 08:46:34 GMT 2005

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 15:01, Pierre Ossman wrote:
>
>>Kevin Krammer wrote:

>>>Sounds like there is something wrong with the file change notification
>>>setup. KDE should watch the directories it is getting the configuration
>>>data from and re-read files that changed.
>>
>>It seems to notice when I put new files there, but it never picks up on
>>files being removed. I'm neither a KDE user nor developer so I could use
>>some pointers in how to debug this. :)
>

> Hmm, I'd try something like this:
> stop kicker
> start kdebugdialog and enable debug output for KDirWatch and KDirLister
> (those are the areas involved with watching directory changes IIRC)
>
> start kicker in a console window to see its output

Not a single line of debug output. But it seems that kded is the one
handling this information. It pops up on 'top' just before kbuildsycoca
(on additions, where it works).

>>>dcop --all-users kicker kicker configure
>>
>>Had no effect...
>

> perhaps
> dcop kicker Panel configure

Sorry, nothing.

I got a tip from Aaron Seigo (through Inge Wallin) which solves the
problem, but still indicates something funky with KDE or Fedora. If I
set the XDG_ environment variables, then everything works fine. It also
continues to work fine once I remove them.

Aaron said these were required by the XDG standard, but that isn't the
case so I'm starting so suspect that KDE makes some false assumptions
here. (I haven't gotten hold of Aaron yet to comment on this.)

It does seem strange to me that KDE can find the directory, but not
monitor it, without the environment variables. All or nothing would seem
more reasonable. :)

Rgds
Pierre