prevent KDE from logout?

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 15:37:34 GMT 2005

Dexter Filmore wrote:

> I have VMware 5.0 installed here, which is one bastard when it comes to
> behaving properly in its environment.
>
> Happened more then once that I forgot VMware on its desktop when logging
> out. Well, WMware will be terminated, but without suspending running VMs,
> resulting in probable data loss.
>
> So - is there a way to prevent KDE from allowing me to log out as long as
> VMware is running? I'd contact their support, but looks like I would have
> to wait for a new release there.

Random thoughts: scripts in $KDEDIR/shutdown (and I guess ~/.kde/shutdown,
though I didn't check) are run at logout by KDE. If there's some way of
telling vmware to save sessions from a script, then you could just put an
appropriate script there.

Alternatively, if you're using a keyboard shortcut to log out, make the
shortcut point to a script that does something like:
*Check if vmware is running.
        * If so, display a dialog (kdialog "VMWare still running"), and don't log
out.
        * If not, use "dcop kdesktop default logout" to logout.
You could even have a desktop icon or  a button on your taskbar to do that,
though I don't know of a way to override the behaviour of the logout item
in the K menu.

Regards,
Philip