Context Menu DELETE / LÖSCHEN

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Thu Dec 8 21:11:15 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 19:27 schrieb Nigel Henry:
> On Thursday 08 December 2005 15:40, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > You should see a line that says "Show 'Delete' context menu entries
> > which bypass the trashcan"  Check the box that that statement refers to.
> > Click "Apply" and then "OK"
> >
> > That should do it :)
> >
> > Have a Great Day,
> > Steven P. Ulrick
>
> Hi Steven. Thank you for that explanation, all is clear now. I'd had problems
> in Gentoo with my / partition redlining at 98%. Someone on a list suggested
> what DL'd distfiles I could get rid of, so I merrily went in there with the
> superuser file manager, and using send to trash (the only apparent option),
> proceeded to get rid of the lot, only to find myself still redlining at 98%,
> and the trash can on the desktop empty. After some hunting, I
> found /root/.local/share/Trash/files  &  info. (Incidentally it's a good job
> I don't keep the hidden files hidden, as I may never have found these Trash
> files). Having found all this stuff still lurking on the harddrive, I used
> the commeand line to get rid of them. This time permanently. Great the
> redlines gone, and down to 73%.

Hello Nigel,

the command line works, but an easier way is to use the trash
applet, or you just enter trash:/ into the location bar of konqueror.
Then right-click the background and choose the option to empty the trash.

This has the advantage that it automatically finds all the trashes
you may have on your system that belong to the user you are logged in as.
Yes, there can be more than one, for example one per partition or network drive.
It's that way because
1. not all the data you may trash will always fit into your home partition
2. it's not a good idea to move a large CD image across partitions or even
   a network link into the user's home directory just because the user
   trashed the file.

I hope this makes it clearer why things are the way they are...

Christian.