kde 3.5 differences - features or bugs

Jason Joines support at bus.okstate.edu
Thu Dec 8 15:00:29 GMT 2005

Justin Denick wrote:
> 30 apps! What are you running QUAD Xeon's with 2TB of ram.
> The behavior you are describing is called grouping, I believe it is
> intended to mimic
> some sort of Redmond Disease. You should be able to tailor it in the
> properties of your task bar.
>
> On 12/7/05, *Jason Joines* < support at bus.okstate.edu
> <mailto:support at bus.okstate.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Philip Rodrigues wrote:
>     >>     In 3.5 I cannot resize maximized windows.  There seems to
>     be no way
>     >> to grab the sides of a maximized window and drag it where I
>     want it to go.
>     >>
>     >
>     > Control center -> desktop -> window behaviour -> moving -> allow
>     moving and
>     > resizing of maximized windows.
>     >
>     >
>     >>     Also, in 3.4.2 and earlier versions the taskbar seemed to
>     behave a
>     >> bit differently in window entry placement.  As an example, I
>     might fire
>     >>
>     > <snip>
>     >
>     > No idea on this one, although I'm curious as to why it makes any
>     difference
>     > what order items are in?
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     > Philip
>     >

>         Thanks for the information about resizing.  I looked on that same
>     configuration tab and missed it multiple times.
>
>         Guess the only practical difference regarding taskbar ordering is
>     ease of finding the just launched application.  If you have 30
>     applications open, launch a new one, and switch to another
>     application
>     while it's launching, you expect it to be at the end of your taskbar,
>     not to have to go hunting through all 30 application references on the
>     taskbar to find it.
>         Mainly, it's just personal preference.  I usually fire things
>     up in
>     a particular order and have gotten used to finding them in that order.
>
>     Jason
>

> --
> Got Gentoo?
>
> It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
>                 -- Mark Twain

    The behavior is similar to grouping but not quite the same.  I have
grouping set to "Never".  If I enable it, then multiple windows of the
application just take up one spot on the task bar and that spot has a
little up arrow which displays a list of the other windows of that
application and allows you to choose one.
    That's no what's happening here.  Just as many spots on the taskbar
are consumed as there are windows open.  However, each separate window
of an application gets stuck next to the other windows of that
application, not in the same spot as is the case with grouping.

Jason