kde 3.5 differences - features or bugs

Jason Joines support at bus.okstate.edu
Wed Dec 7 15:31:47 GMT 2005

    I've recently upgraded from KDE 3.4.2 to 3.5 and noticed a couple of
differences.

    In 3.4.2 and earlier versions, I could resize any window by moving
the mouse pointer to any side where it would become a double arrow and
allow me to drag the side to the desired size.  This worked even for
maximized windows.
    In 3.5 I cannot resize maximized windows.  There seems to be no way
to grab the sides of a maximized window and drag it where I want it to go.

    Also, in 3.4.2 and earlier versions the taskbar seemed to behave a
bit differently in window entry placement.  As an example, I might fire
up Konqueror, Konsole, and Kate in that order.  Then from within
Koqueror, have it open another window.  My taskbar would then show
entryies for each entry in the order they were started, Konqueror,
Konsole, Kate, then the second Konqueror window.
    In 3.5, the second Konqueror window gets placed right after the
first so the taskbar entries look like Konqueror, Konqueror, Konsole,
Kate.  It also seems to remember this order.  If I close both Konqueror
windows leaving Konsole and Kate open, then start Konqueror back up, it
again appears as the first entry in the taskbar.  This behavior is the
same regardless of what applications are used, even for non-KDE
applications.

    In both of these cases I strongly prefer the behavior I experienced
with KDE versions 3.4.2 and earlier.  Are there settings I can adjust to
restore this behavior?  Are these changes by design or by bug?

Jason Joines