Artsmessage

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Aug 12 08:08:50 BST 2005

david walcroft wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>david walcroft wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>> I've had problems with KDE and Alsa sound for some time now,it's
>>>always this error:
>>>
>>>Sound server informational message:
>>>Error while initializing the sound driver:
>>>device: default can't be opened for capture (Invalid argument)
>>>The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>>>
>>>All other third party programmes use Alsa but not KDE and I'm a little
>>>stumped,can someone help please.
>>

>>Some recent KDE versions had a known bug.  The autodetect didn't work
>>for the sound system.  The workaround for this is simple:
>>
>>In the Control Center: Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System.
>>
>>On the Hardware tab: "Select the audio device".  Set this to "Advanced
>>Linux Sound Architecture".
>>

> I have to use "Open Sound System" on the Hardware tab,if I change it
> to Alsa I get the error message,thats been one of the main problems.

You must have a configuration problem.  What is the error message?

Do you know if the other apps are using ALSA or if they are using the
OSS emulation?

In general, ALSA is installed as loadable modules whether it comes with
the Kernel 2.6 or you install it for Kernel 2.4.  To work correctly, the
configuration data in: "/etc/modules.conf" must be correct for your
sound card/chip.  With a distro, this should get set correctly, but it
is possible that it isn't correct.

You can look up you sound chip here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

I don't have a distro and I just did copy and paste from their data and
it worked correctly.

With some distros or if you are using PAM, there can be issues with the
sound devices, but that would normally give a different error message.

--
JRT