kde 3.4.0: empty application list; "Configure desktop" does not work

Denis Vlasenko vda at ilport.com.ua
Sun Aug 7 16:18:45 BST 2005

I posted a question about this, got no answer.
[original mail is below for your easy reference]

Thus I did some research. I tried to find out why list of
known apps is empty.

kde 3.1.4 (which works for me) seems to keep info about apps in
share/applnk, for example in System/kinfocenter.desktop:
if I do
	-Name=Info Center
	+Name=Info Czenter
I see this change in "Open With" app list.

However, kde 3.4.0 has only very small .desktop files, for example:
share/applnk/System/kappfinder.desktop
======================================
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Hidden=true
======================================
They don't even have a Name=xxx!
Is this normal for kde 3.4.0?

However, grepping around reveals that kinfocenter.desktop exists
in share/applications/kde/ directory (kde 3.1.4 don't have such dir).
Copying it to share/applnk/System doesn't help, "Open With"
app list is still emply...

Can some kde 3.4.x user help me with this?
Where these files end up on correctly installed kde end up?

[previous mail starts below]

I am using kde for a long time, IIRC I started to
use kde at version 2.2.2. I always build from source.
I used 2.2.2, 3.0.5 and now I am using 3.1.4.

I downloaded kde 3.4.0 sources, built and installed them
(usual configure/make/make install method).

Then I moved almost everything away from my home dir
(/root) and launched X+startkde, in order to get clean
.kde, not damaged by mix of old and new version.

KDE started and walked me thru setup wizard.
I've got a standard desktop configuration.

But there is something very wrong this time:
* K menu have no applications listed.
* kicker have no app icons. No KMail, no Kate,
  not even Konsole. Nothing. (Other elements are ok:
  K menu button, small images of 4 virtual desktops,
  clipboard tool, clock...)
* Clicking on Home icon on desktop brings up
  a "Pick an application" dialog (KDE does not
  know how to handle klick on a directory?),
  and this dialog, while looking normally,
  has a list of apps which is completely empty.
* Right-clicking on desktop and selecting
  "Configure desktop" does apparently nothing.
  X's stderr, where KDE stderr is being emitted to,
  prints this:

kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got kdeinit_exec('kcmshell', ...)
kdeinit: Got EXT_EXEC 'kcmshell' from launcher.
kio (KLauncher): kcmshell (pid 29578) up and running.
DCOP: register 'kcmshell-29578' -> number of clients is now 8
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /.local/var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module 'kde-background'.
kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module 'kde-desktopbehavior'.
kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module 'kde-desktop'.
kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module 'kde-screensaver'.
kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module 'kde-display'.
DCOP:  'kcmshell-29578' now known as 'kcmshell_'
DCOP: unregister 'kcmshell_'
kdeinit: PID 29578 terminated.
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-29530'
kdeinit: PID 29530 terminated.
kio_file: Done
kdeinit: PID 29540 terminated.
kio (KDirWatch): KDirWatch-3 emitting dirty /etc/mtab

It's not that bad, actually. I can start Konsole via
desktop right-click and "run a command", and then I tried
to start Kmail. It works.

Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong?
--
vda