How to force Konsole not to ignore Meta key?

Milan Zamazal pdm at zamazal.org
Fri Apr 29 12:01:02 BST 2005

    AK> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:56 pm, Milan Zamazal wrote:
    >>  I have to press Alt-SOMETHING to generate the Meta-SOMETHING key
    >> event.  In other terminals, like xterm or gnome-terminal, Meta
    >> key behaves normally.

    AK> Check your layout configuration in kde control centre keyboard
    AK> shortcuts and layouts. There are a zillion settings there for 3
    AK> or 4 modifier keys, mapping, KDE or X11 style

I use my own keyboard layout, so the settings don't apply.  And I can't
see anything in KDE nor Konsole settings which could change the modifier
behavior.

I've found and fixed a bug in my keyboard configuration.  Now
gnome-terminal behaves the same way as Konsole.  XTerm still works
correctly.

I can see the following things in the "Keyboard Shortucts / Modifier
Keys" now:

  Alt   mod1
  Win   mod4

  mod1  Alt_L  Alt_R
  mod4  Meta_L Meta_R

This looks well to me.  So I don't understand why Konsole and
gnome-terminal send the meta prefix when Alt is pressed and not when
Meta is pressed.  Perhaps it's a (mis)feature?

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
http://www.zamazal.org