kde 3.4 2 problems

Michael W. Holdeman lists at ptfd.org
Tue Apr 26 19:45:20 BST 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 04:59 pm, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> > I am running kde 3.4 on 4 desktops and 1 laptop. Love it, had beta1 and 2
> > as well and have loved them. These are gentoo systems.
> >
> > Now suddenly I have 2 really nasty problems.
> > 1. Artsd gives me the cpu overload, aborting sound server problem. I have
> > rebuild kdelibs, kdebase, and arts..... no help so far. Reisntalled
> > alsa.... Alsa seems to work fine, alsaplayer works fine.. This is on a
> > laptop Centrino, snd_intel8x0 driver. Knotify crashes with the cpu
> > overload problem, so I have no kde sounds. I did get them partially to
> > work with external player aplay but it would also stop other sound untill
> > it was done.
>
> You might find this useful:
> http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq/sound.html .
> Also, try creating a new user, and running KDE with that user.

Went through all this "again" Does not help. It seems arts just hogs/bogs the
cpu?

Disabling knotify works around the prob. I have rebuilt arts several times..

I had a desktop running 2.6.9-ck3 and it was fine with alsa built into the
kernel.
I just upgraded it to 2.6.10-ck5 and the new alsa driver in 1.0.9 as modules
and now it has the same problem...

I saw some references to this in teh google, is it an alsa prob?
I will try and downgrade alsa and see what happens.

Mike

> > Problem 2 started at teh same time as 1, when shuting down computer or
> > even ending session I get a black screen with the cursor and it never
> > kills X and restarts. I have to hit the power button which then sends a
> > kill to all sessions ans shuts down the machine.
>
> Sounds like a config problem. Try with a newly-created user.
rebuilding kdelibs and kdebase fixed this, although it seems to be tied to the
knotify problem. It appears when knotify is active using arts it locks up
waiting on teh cpu-overload again...

--

Michael W. Holdeman