KDM: Your saved session type 'Xsession' is not valid any more.\nPlease select a new one, otherwise 'default' will be used.

Erik sigra at home.se
Thu Apr 21 23:01:44 BST 2005

Andrew Kar wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:15 am, Erik wrote:
>

>>Then it is a bug.
>>

>>>That seems to be the problem here.
>>>
>>>I suggest that you try using the menu on the login dialog to choose
>>>KDE and see if that fixes the problem.  If you are using auto login,
>>>hit <Ctrl><Alt><Backspace> as soon as you see the X cursor to get to
>>>the login screen.
>>>

>>I selected KDE 3.3.2 from the session menu, logged in and logged out
>>again, but after that there was still no menu option for Xsession there,
>>so the problem is not solved. This causes problems because
>>/etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession contains important code like:
>>if [ -z "$XKB_IN_USE" ]; then
>>    if [ -f "$rh6sysmodmap" ]; then
>>       xmodmap "$rh6sysmodmap"
>>    fi
>>
>>    if [ -f "$sysmodmap" ]; then
>>       xmodmap "$sysmodmap"
>>    fi
>>

>Your  /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession file is still there because there is nothing
>wrong with it and I have absolutely no doubt that it still runs every time
>you log in otherwise you would surely know it.

Yes, I surely know it (because the xmodmap commands were no longer
executed after I got that error message, and the timestamp of some files
were no longer updated when I logged in, I had some commands like "touch
kepdebmw" in /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession).

>As to the disappearing Xsession in the kdm session list arer you sure that you
>*ever* had a file called Xsession there?

I had a menu item called Xsession that executed the file
/etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession. But then I got this error message that said
it is not valid any more.

>When KDE saves a custom session it is called "custom" and apart from that I have only seen
>kde,gnome,failsafe,default xfce4 etc but never have I seen an Xsession in
>there. Its possible that I am in an alternative universe though... or else
>haven't been particularly observant because I dont generally save sessions.

I do not save sessions either.

>I think you may be confusing Xsession file with the generic term Xsession
>meaning a session in X.  If you logged in as a 2nd KDE user, saved a session
>and/or had a crash the saved session could have been corrupted or lost
>resulting in such a message. A session generally means a desktop with a
>couple opened apps that you want it to start again next time.
>
>As I said I could be wrong but I have never had a session called Xsession in
>kdm in Suse9.2 or FC3 that I just tried here.

This is Gentoo.