K3b says "no suitable writer found" if run as normal user

Jes Hall jes.hall at kdemail.net
Wed Apr 20 00:30:06 BST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 04:25, wolfgang pauli wrote:
> I didn't upgrade the kernel from 2.4.18 for fun! I didn't know that I had
> to justify, why I upgraded it... sorry. All the other tools work by the
> way. I did not have to upgrade cdrecord, because it is still working. The
> fact that K3b works if I am locked in as root and cdrecord works with all
> users suggests that this is not a kernel-problem, am I right?

I'm afraid not. Actually, around that particular kernel version there were
changes introduced into the way cdburning worked that stopped it working for
normal users with the cd recording tools setuid root. If you check the k3b
homepage (which probably should have been the first port of call) You'll see
quite clearly under 'news' that there were some very big issues with kernels
2.6.8 and greater.

The fact that it works ok as root is actually a strong indication that the
problem is with your kernel, not proof that it's k3b's fault.

Under 2.6.10 everything seems to be working fine for me with the latest k3b.
If you can revert to an earlier kernel, perhaps earlier 2.6 or even update to
the absolute latest 2.6 you may find that this helps your problem. Seeing if
there is a k3b update as well probably wouldn't hurt.

In future, before updating your kernel do a little bit of research to make
sure it's not a particularly broken one! It will save you much grief. This
problem has happened to many people and it's much nicer to learn from someone
else's mistakes.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=2.6.8+cd+burning&btnG=Search

--
JH

KDE Frequently Asked Questions:
http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq/

panic("esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!");