K3b says "no suitable writer found" if run as normal user

wolfgang pauli ookami at gmx.de
Tue Apr 19 17:25:19 BST 2005

I didn't upgrade the kernel from 2.4.18 for fun! I didn't know that I had
to justify, why I upgraded it... sorry. All the other tools work by the
way. I did not have to upgrade cdrecord, because it is still working. The
fact that K3b works if I am locked in as root and cdrecord works with all
users suggests that this is not a kernel-problem, am I right?

Thanks anyway!

> I feel I just have to comment on distro updates (suse).
> Mine definitely hasn't update all of the items needed to get the cd
> (dvd in my case) writer working with the latest k3b under the newer
> kernel. I'm left needing to do multiple updates on a variety of things.
> For all I know this may well wreck my system.
>
> Regards
> John
>
> On Wednesday 20 April 2005 01:56, Andrew Kar wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:49 pm, wolfgang pauli wrote:
> > > I think the problem is really strange. K3b is really user-friendly
as
> > > long as it works, but if it stops working it is worse than
> > > windows-applications. I installed it to make windows users able to
use
> > > the linux box.
> >
> > Dont blame your tools. It was all working OK until *you* made changes
> > the system; so what does that suggest?  There have been a lot of
changes
> > recently to the way CDs are handled by the kernel, the tools and the
> device
> > system. It has been quite a while since CD writers had to work in scsi
> > emulation mode so if you upgrade all the cd tools that K3B relies on
> > match your kernel I'm sure that will go a long way to solving your
> problem.
> >
> > There is no point in upgrading your kernel just to have a newer one.
You
> do
> > it because new functionality is introduced and that commonly requires
> > updating other components as well. If you had no compelling reason for
> > updating then simply switch back to the older kernel that worked. The
> > producers of your distro spend a lot of time making sure everything
> matches
> > and works together. If you want to make changes either be sure of what
> you
> > are doing or wait till the distro puts out a new stable release.

+++ NEU: GMX DSL_Flatrate! Schon ab 14,99 EUR/Monat! +++

GMX Garantie: Surfen ohne Tempo-Limit! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl