K3b says "no suitable writer found" if run as normal user

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 20 01:56:33 BST 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:49 pm, wolfgang pauli wrote:
> I think the problem is really strange. K3b is really user-friendly as long
> as it works, but if it stops working it is worse than
> windows-applications. I installed it to make windows users able to use the
> linux box.

Dont blame your tools. It was all working OK until *you* made changes to the
system; so what does that suggest?  There have been a lot of changes recently
to the way CDs are handled by the kernel, the tools and the device system. It
has been quite a while since CD writers had to work in scsi emulation mode so
if you upgrade all the cd tools that K3B relies on to match your kernel I'm
sure that will go a long way to solving your problem.

There is no point in upgrading your kernel just to have a newer one. You do it
because new functionality is introduced and that commonly requires updating
other components as well. If you had no compelling reason for updating then
simply switch back to the older kernel that worked. The producers of your
distro spend a lot of time making sure everything matches and works together.
If you want to make changes either be sure of what you are doing or wait till
the distro puts out a new stable release.

--
regards,
andrew