icons for Windows executables

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Apr 18 12:16:22 BST 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 12:32, Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> Dnia niedziela 17 kwiecieĊ„ 2005 15:20, Kevin Krammer napisaĊ‚:
> > On Sunday 17 April 2005 14:29, Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> > > Why actually no filemanager in linux supports program icons built in
> > > Windows(TM) executables (.exe)? ReactOS hadle those well, so it has to
> > > be something with developers.  What's the point?
> >
> > I guess there is not technical problem with that, I think one could
> > create a Konqueror thumbnail plugin for the MIME type of Windows
> > executables which extracts the icon.
> >
> > Very likely nobody had any need so far to implement one, I mean, how
> > likely would one encounter a Windows executable during filemanager use?
>
> Well, sure not very often, but more frequently then i.e. "vcalendar" or
> "ubrellofile", I think.

Hmm, really?
vcalendar and umbrello files are user data files, so an encounter is IMHO a
lot more likely than an exectuable which are usually in some program path.

And at least I don't see any additonal value in having one of the program's
icons instead of the executable icon or maybe a special "Windows executable"
icon.
When working with the filemanager you need some hints what kind of files your
are looking at, for example to avoid moving executable out of the install
directories
The program specific icon could be interesting in launcher menus but what
additional benefit does it have in the filemanager?

> > Anyway, I am wondering how this is related to the thread about mouse
> > buttons you replied to?
>
> Just simple missclick :) Sorry.

:)

Cheers,