KDE scrollbars react to the wrong mouse buttons

Erik sigra at home.se
Sat Apr 16 18:46:16 BST 2005

Richard Fish wrote:

>Erik wrote:
>

>>I just tried that and it does make both devices move the mouse cursor
>>with only one InputDevice section in xorg.conf. The problem is that
>>it does not recognize more than 3 buttons, not even with Option
>>"Buttons" "10".
>>

>I have an Microsoft Explorer Trackball (5 buttons + scroll), but
>honestly up to now, I never bothered to try to get the other 2 buttons
>to work.  I also normally disable the trackpad, because it annoys me!
>

>>If you have it working with a touchpad and an USB mouse with many
>>buttons, please send your configuration sections.
>>

>I did just get it working with all 5 buttons. I don't know if that fits
>your definition of 'many', but it is more than 3! :-)
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier "Mouse0"
>    Driver "mouse"
>    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
>    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>    Option "Buttons" "7"
>    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
>EndSection

Thanks! This improves the situation. Now I use The ExplorerPS/2 protocol
and the wheel works. The only things that do not work now are the last 3
buttons, but I do not know what I would use them for anyway. I also
discovered that using "Protocol" "auto" has the same effect as
ExplorerPS/2, and that commenting out the whole protocol line also has
the same effect.

>I also added "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" to ~/.Xmodmap
>
>The only 'problem' with this is that the trackpad has 4 buttons in a
>N-S-E-W layout. With this config, the buttons are reported as
>
>       1
>    1     3
>       6
>
>So the W and E buttons are what you would expect, but the 'N' and 'S'
>buttons are basically useless. But as I said, I normally disable the
>trackpad anyway.
>
>I think you should be able to get this to work with your trackball, at
>least for most of the buttons. If you *must* use the evdev protocol to
>get all the buttons to work, then you will have to wait for
>XInputHotplug to become a reality.
>
>http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/XInputHotplug

Very interesting. Now I see that something is done about the problems!