KDE scrollbars react to the wrong mouse buttons

Erik sigra at home.se
Sat Apr 16 09:58:29 BST 2005

Richard Fish wrote:

>Erik wrote:
>

>>       Option "Device"   "/dev/input/mouse0"
>>

>>The problems with this:
>>* The mouse has to be connected when X starts and remain connected while
>>X is running. Connecting it later does not work. Nor is it possible to
>>disconnecti it and reconnect it.
>>* The applications (KDE) does not handle the wheel correctly.
>>* I have to add 2 sections to make it work regardless of where I connect it.
>>

>Erik,
>
>Have you tried using "/dev/input/mice" and a single pointer section in
>your X config?

I just tried that and it does make both devices move the mouse cursor
with only one InputDevice section in xorg.conf. The problem is that it
does not recognize more than 3 buttons, not even with Option "Buttons"
"10". I read in
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=46
that the evdev driver is needed to get all mousebuttons to work. But
there is no /dev/input/mouseevents for all mouse events. Just event0
(keyboard), event1 (touchpad) and event2 (USBmouse).

>  It is what I do with my laptop, and with that device,
>the kernel merges all pointer devices on the system into a common
>device.   Adding and removing devices works exactly like you would
>expect it to, and the device "exists" even if there is no mouse
>connected when you boot.  It would definitely eliminate your 1st and 3rd
>problems above.

If you have it working with a touchpad and an USB mouse with many
buttons, please send your configuration sections.

>Hopefully it would also allow everything else to work...

What about things like Option "Resolution" "800" (from the article
linked above)? It is different for different mice. One could have 2 USB
mice, one with 800 and one with 1600. (Not that I know what that option
is supposed to do, it works without it.)