Wrong font names

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 13 10:27:08 BST 2005

Examples:

I have BitStream ITC Zapf Chancery with these four faces:

	Medium
	Medium Italic
	Demi
	Bold

But the KDE Font Selector lists:

	Regular
	Italic
	Demi Bold
	Demi Bold Italic
	Bold
	Bold Italic

IMHO, it is OK to call the standard face: "Regular" ONLY if it doesn't
have a name.  If it does have a name why shouldn't that be used.  Also,
the two simulated "Italic" faces are properly called: "Oblique".

And, is there a way to turn OFF the the manufactured Oblique faces?

Then there is ITC Bookman. I have installed these four faces:

	Light
	Light Italic
	Demi
	Demi Italic

But the KDE Font Selector lists:

	Light
	Light Italic
	Regular
	Regular Italic

Yes, Demi should be the default face if there is no "Medium" or "", but
why does it have to change the name?

What is the problem?  FontConfig lists these correctly, so is it Qt or
KDE that is screwing this up?  Is it a bug that should be reported?

--
JRT