Xwindows in SUSe

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Mon Apr 11 18:55:42 BST 2005

On Monday April 11 2005 16:05, tommie ramirez andujar wrote:
> Hi;
>
> > Do you get to the graphical login (the greeter)? Or are you still in text
> > mode? Do you get a command line login prompt?
>
> I do have graphical login.
>
> > How much RAM does your PC have?
>
> I am on P4 256 40 GB HD, 1.2 GHz
>
> > Is this a new install, or an upgrade?
>
> I just killed my Mandrake 10.1 to try SuSe
>
> > Larry
>
> What should I do?

Log in at the graphical login as root. Then try it. Same problem?

After it happens, reboot, then look at the file /var/log/messages (you may
have to be root to see this file). Look at the time stamp at the start of
each line and find the time when the lockup occurred. Post about the last 30
lines before the lockup here on this list.

I do recall having a similar problem, but not as severe. As I remember it was
trying to probe the hardware and was getting locked up on that. I don't
remember how I fixed it, but let's try and figure out if your problem is
similar.

Larry