Xwindows in SUSe

Rikard Johnels rikjoh at norweb.se
Fri Apr 8 23:15:05 BST 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 20.25, Larry Howe wrote:
> On Friday April 8 2005 17:10, tommie ramirez andujar wrote:
> > Hi
> > I just installed SUSe 9.2 and once I log in it allows me to do a couple
> > of things and takes me to force shutdown the pc qhenever I try to Yast
> > to configure. I cannot give you any  other data for I am unable to see
> > annything but my pc all blocked
> >
> > Tommie
>
> Do you get to the graphical login (the greeter)? Or are you still in text
> mode? Do you get a command line login prompt?
>
> How much RAM does your PC have?
>
> Is this a new install, or an upgrade?
>
> Larry

I had the same trouble a while back with 9.1
I could run any application without problems, but as soon as i started YAST it
froze terminally, and the only solution was a hard reboot.
Not even ctrl-alt-bksp or switching to console worked.

I never got the solution for that, and none on the list had any clues.
It *seemed* to be a thing between the 2.6 kernel and X. As soon as i went back
to SuSE 9.0 which is 2.4 it worked flawlessly.
Now i am running 9.2 and so far it has no problems. So i cant say for sure
what caused it.

--

         /Rikard

" Sharing knowledge is the most fundamental act of friendship.
Because it is a way you can give something without loosing something."
		-R. Stallman

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh at norweb.se
                        Web     : http://www.rikjoh.com/users/rikjoh
                        Mob     : +46 735 05 51 01