kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type

Bogus Zaba bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 23:27:47 BST 2005

Danijel Tasov wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i've updated to KDE 3.4, and now I'm getting these warnings when
>starting konqueror. This wouldn't be annoying to me, but for each
>warning I also get a pop-up-window. Has somebody an idea of what
>is wrong?
>
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory-locked
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/blockdevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/chardevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/socket
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/fifo
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory-locked
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/blockdevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/chardevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/socket
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/fifo
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory-locked
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/blockdevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/chardevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/socket
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/fifo
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/directory-locked
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/blockdevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/chardevice
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/socket
>kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
>inode/fifo
>
>                                               -DaTa-

I got similar messages (not so many) when I upgraded from Suse 9.0 to
9.2, which I guess involved an upgrade of KDE from something older to
3.3.0. Was not a problem for other users.  I guessed that they were
problems with file associations so I played around a bit with these
using Konqueror>Tools>"Configure Konqueror">"File Associations". Seemed
to help a bit for a while but the wrong setup kept being re-generated by
something. In the end I got sick of it and took the more drastic step of
deleting my user .kde directory. This did the trick and had some other
beneficial side-effects - like I lost desktop icons for each of my
Windows partitions which I had never liked or needed. The only
dis-benefit that I remember was that some kde applications acted like
they had never been run (most annoying I think was Kopete where I had to
enter all my contacts again).

Bogus Zaba