none of my kde applications see kwallet

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Wed Apr 6 13:30:16 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 5. April 2005 19:07 schrieb Daniel Quinn:
> I've just installed KDE3.4 on my new shiny athlon64 and while everything else
> seems to be working fine... except that Konqueror and Kmail don't seem to
> acknowledge the existence of my Kwallet.  When I edit my account settings in
> Kmail and select "Store Password" and hit "ok, ok" I get this:
>
>   KWallet is not available. It is strongly recommended to use KWallet for
>   managing your passwords.
>
>   However, KMail can store the password in its configuration file instead. The
>   password is stored in an obfuscated format, but should not be considered
>   secure from decryption efforts if access to the configuration file is
>   obtained.
>
> ...But Kwallet is running.  It's right there in the system tray.  If I open
> it, there's nothing there though.
>
> I've installed from broken down Gentoo packages, (that is to say,
> "kwalletmanager"
> was one package, kmail another.) and while everything else works this is
> quite annoying.  suggestions?
>
> Note: I don't think the packages themselves are broken, since they work just
> fine on my other athlon-tbird box.

Do you have a standard wallet set in the control center
(Security & Privacy -> Digital Wallet)?
That's been the reason for this problem on my system, there was nothing defined.
I created a new wallet with the new button (I called it kdewallet, I guess
that's the standard name anyway) and set it as standard wallet.
(I didn't report a bug because I was manually messing with my config files
at the time and I still think that's what caused it...)

Christian.