kde upgrades = risks, hassles, annoyances.

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Tue Apr 5 16:55:51 BST 2005

Since I was eagerly awaiting kde-3.4 because of that ICQ5-Bug in kopete I
tried an upgrade.
Foreclosure: I'm back to 3.3.2 for now.

1.: kde fonts messed up. Don't know why, but the fonts where changed. Why? I
liked the fonts like I set them. The type, the size.

2.: konsole font messed up. I liked the font I put in konsole, too.

3.: taskbar all messed up. I had 20 launchers in the taskbar. After the
upgrade about half were gone. I doubt "konqueror" isn't in kde anymore. So
what happened here? I noticed the upgrade reset the launcher spacing to
default. Again. I liked it the way I put it. Yes, again.

4.: KOrganizer: After 1-3 freaked me out sufficiently to return to kde-3.3.2
and gaim (to hell with kopete then) I noticed my appointment were gone
altogether. The first thing was that in KDE resources it was set to
iCalendar, obviously the new format in 3.4, after setting it back to
vCalendar I was almost there - almost:

5.: symlinks are the system's business, not KDE's. in Resources I noticed the
kde dir was .kde-3.3.2, I named it that and symlinked .kde there. Why does
KDE resolve that? That's the idea behind symlinks - they are transparent to
applications. I changed the .kde-3.3.2 name in between and relinked it, that
way a lot of things where fscked up.

That's it so far. And I haven't even tested KMail...
I'm using KDE for home purposes -- if I imagine upgrading kde for a 50 people
office or such... *shudder*.

Dex

--

http://www.againsttcpa.com - nothing fights like the opposition