device icons on the desktop

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 5 00:56:55 BST 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:23 pm, Manojav Sridhar wrote:
> yes it does. but really its not a mounted hard disk, its more like a
> removable device. so what i am getting at is that its in the wrong
> category. and how do i change it?

So what if its not an actual harddisk. It is still essentially a removable
disk and you can still copy files to it. Your main concern seems to be that
it has the wrong icon.  There are a number of ways to do what you want but my
advice is for you to wait until either your distro or kde takes care of it
(but dont send in a bug report; its not a bug) 100's of new usb devices come
out each week and a lot of manufacturers dont even specify the device
correctly in the first place. When it is fixed you may well find yourself
with a lightning-bolt icon named Matushitsumiwata Flash memory because it is
a flash memory device.
Consider yourself lucky that it automounts and pops up an icon or get one of
the third-party usb-mount packages that are around and modify its files and
turn off kde's device watcher .

--
regards,
andrew