how to make a desktop icon for a device?

LeVA leva at az.isten.hu
Sat Apr 2 19:10:24 BST 2005

2005. április 2. 16:48,
Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon at decoulon.ch>
-> kde at mail.kde.org,:
> On Saturday, 2 April 2005 11.46, LeVA wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I heard that it is possible to configure kde, so when I attach my
> > pendrive or camera to an usb slot, an icon will appear on my desktop, and
> > I can mount and watch the contents of my device, and after disconnecting
> > my stuff the icon will disappear.
> >
> > Anyone knows how to achieve this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Daniel
>
> Hi!
>
> I know of two ways to achieve this:
>
> If you right-click on the desktop and click "configure desktop", you have a
> third tab names "Device Icons". There you may select what should appear or
> not
Done. But nothing shown on my desktop.

> Now, if you have some kind of automount working, then a hotplug device
> should pop up on your desktop when connected.

I want to achieve something like this. What kind of automounting do you mean?
Devfs? I'm using udev and hotplug, but the icon doesn't appear on my desktop
when I plug in my pendrive. I don't need the automount feature, but it would
be nice if kde could place the pendrive icon on my desktop only after I've
attached my pendrive. Is this possible?
Now I can only place a link to my desktop with right click -> New item -> link
to a device. But this icon doesn't change automaticly when I'm
mounting/unmounting my device from console. It only changes when I'm mounting
the pendrive thru that icon (right click mount/unmount).

> If you prefer manual mount (that's my case) you can add your device
> in /etc/fstab and you can add an icon for the unmounted device (or one will
> show automaticaly, it depends).
>
> In my case, I have a line in fstab for my nfs share, but it's "noauto"
> mounted, so an icon for an unmounted network share is shown on the desktop,
> and I can manually mount the share if necessary.
>
> Maybe there are other ways to do that,
>
> Thierry

Thanks!
Daniel