system services

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Apr 1 10:25:14 BST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 11:09, rec.sea at btopenworld.com wrote:
> > xinetd is for starting-on-demand
> >
> > Usually there should be both documentation and example configuration in
> > the package.
> >
> > In short there you tell xinetd which protocol (TCP or UDP) and which port
> > a certain service uses and it then monitors that port.
> > When there some activity there, e.g. an application connecting to it,
> > then it starts the respective service and lets it handle the request.
> >
> > For delayed start you could replace the service's link in the runlevel
> > directory with a script which starts a background job that first sleeps
> > and then calls the actual startup script (the one the original link
> > pointed to)
>
> Would that improve performances?

I don't think so, the sleeping services won't use much (if any) processing
power) and their memory will be swapped out once physical memory gets filled
up, but it will improve the initial startup time as those services don't have
to be loaded and started

> I was thinking of having an icon on the desktop, for starting all the
> services we usually use for development under kde only on demand.

That should work as well.

> Is that possible using the system you describe?

The options I described are still some automated approach, i.e. having
services started by a super server (inetd) when some client needs them.

Starting on direct usr intervention as you decribed is easier, your script
only has to initiate the normal startups, using something like sudo.

Cheers,
Kevin