fubared keyboard, howto fix?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 02:25:39 BST 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 13:14, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Fooling around in the 'control center' in the keyboard
>> interpretation stuffs, I seem to have managed to get things a bit
>> akilter.
>>
>> The most noticeable gotcha now is that the first press of the  key
>> immediately left of the return key, which on a US_EN keyboard
>> contains the characters ' in the lowercase, and " in the shifted
>> mode, is ignored unless the space bar is given a tap immediately
>> after.  This is apparently a global setting as it effects mozilla
>> et all too.
>>
>> So what do I specifically turn off to disable such behaviour?
>
>You have probably selected: US English w/dead keys.

No, US_EN + 'basic'.  I had turned on the Xkb stuffs too, but just now
turned them off, with no apparent effect, I still have to hit the
single-quote key followed by the spacebar to actually get a
single-quote as shown around the word basic.  But I haven't restarted
X either, which may be required for that to take effect.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)