fubared keyboard, howto fix?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Sep 27 16:50:35 BST 2004

Greetings;

Fooling around in the 'control center' in the keyboard interpretation
stuffs, I seem to have managed to get things a bit akilter.

The most noticeable gotcha now is that the first press of the  key
immediately left of the return key, which on a US_EN keyboard
contains the characters ' in the lowercase, and " in the shifted
mode, is ignored unless the space bar is given a tap immediately
after.  This is apparently a global setting as it effects mozilla et
all too.

So what do I specifically turn off to disable such behaviour?

If I give that key a second press, I get a different character, like
this ´ and ¨ rather than ' and ".  What I was looking for was to be
able to type the copyright symbol and other such d7 set characters by
using the alt key, but thats not working either, it gets me some
kmail menu pulldowns instead.

What I'd really like is a normal keyboard when the alt key isn't
pressed, but switches to the alt character set typified by a set bit
d7 in the normal ascii lookup tables when the alt key, either one, is
pressed.  If there is to be kde menu actions, qualify them with one
or the other of the otherwise useless windows keys.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)