Some features for KDE 3.4?

Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz gryzman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 14:41:21 BST 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:44:43 +0300, Janne Ojaniemi
<janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi> wrote:
> On Saturday 18 September 2004 22:23, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:09:15 +0300, Janne Ojaniemi
> >
> > <janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi> wrote:
> > I think we shouldn't stop anyone from such behavior. In general, KDE
> > developers attitude is simple - we like it, we implement it. They
> > don't copy stuff. And it's good. But freedesktop, is an attempt to go
> > one step ahead. Many of these steps were made already by KDE ppl, now
> > it looks like freedesktop.org is taking next steps, implementing stuff
> > in GNOME.
>
> IMO Freedesktop does not implement stuff in Gnome. They simply come up with
> specifications and code, and it's up to individual projects to implement
> them. It just happens that Gnome-folks seem to be more involved in
> Freedesktop than KDE-folks are.
>
> > I don't like 'not keen on new stuff, especially if it comes from
> > GNOME/fd.o' attitude, that I can see in some KDE ppl. They think they
> > lead, but this might rappidly change.
>
> I think that overall KDE is in the lead. But that doesn't mean that KDE leads
> everywhere. There are things in Gnome that KDE could learn from (and vice
> versa of course).

It's a question of what users expect. And GNOME is fulfilliing these
expectations, as what is on fd.o is just reflection of long lasting
users dream. I must agree, that many of these features there are
already in KDE for ages, but they, as standard were not agreed with
anyone, and fd.o tries to lead to such standarisation.
I think KDE should have much louder voice in fd.o, and we should
implement more features from it.
The way ppl see desktop enviroment nowdays, is of how many features
one expected in new version to be present is acctually implemented.
While GNOME now is implementing many of these, users expected, KDE is
not quite trying to keep the lead.
--
GJ