Writing to the windows files system

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 18:58:10 BST 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 10:56, John wrote:
>Hello All
>My machine has developed an odd problem. I could write to the
> windows nt file system on my machine - for some reason I can't now.
> I'm running a more or less up to date suse9 installation, xp and
> KDE etc. Anybody know what I need to do to get things back as they
> were? I don't even seem to be able to set the permissions even as
> root. I've no idea why it's stopped working unless it has something
> to do with a suse update. I unfortunately still do need windows now
> and again.

AFAIK, writing to an nt filesystem has never been safe for the nt
filesystem.  Its apparently a moving target, and carefully guarded by
M$ against any reverse engineering efforts.

That said, if you build a kernel from scratch, you may find an option
in the config that might allow writing to an ntfs partition, but it
will carry unsafe warnings.  Possibly damaging the filesystem
silently until the next time you need to boot windows from it.

Me, I don't mess with winderz, so I've never had an excuse to live
that far out on the bleeding edge.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)