how to pass url to external app.

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstromDONT_CC_ME at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 8 13:52:32 BST 2004

Please don't top-post; it makes it hard to follow threads and see who is
saying what.

On Wednesday, 8 Sep 2004 18:46, zander at kde.org wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:39:33AM +0100, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > zander at kde.org wrote:
> > > Could anyone tell me how I can force konq to start the external
> > > application with the full path of the remote URL (i.e.
> > > http://foo.bar/file.jnlp) instead of incorrectly copying the file
> > > to a local store first?
> >
> > Does 'javaws %U' as the 'Open with...' command work?
>
> I just had the command, nothing following it (since there is
> absolutely no indication something _could_ follow it :).  Should this
> %U not be default?

No, because not all programs can handle URLs on the command line, even
if all KDE and GTK applications (I believe) support it natively. I
suppose there could also be cases where it's not desirable for the
program (or its linked library) to interact with the server.

> I can post a bugreport on that I guess..

The information is there; it's in the Whats This popup for the text box
that holds the command (click on the question mark in the title bar and
then on the text box). Perhaps it needs to be more prominent than that.
The information is quite long, however, so just throwing it all in as
labels wouldn't be elegant. If you've got a good suggestion after
taking another look at what the options are, I'm sure a wishlist bug
report describing it could be helpful.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/