No KDE 3.3 from Mandrake?

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Sep 7 09:12:47 BST 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:52, Zé wrote:
> On Monday 06 September 2004 10:50, John Layt wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:06, Shurajit Gopal wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I am trying to upgrade the KDE 3.2 to KDE 3.3 on my Mandrake Linux 10.
> > > I visited http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=stable/3.3/  but on
> > > all the FTP sites I see only  Connectiva, Debian, SuSe, Yoper, Contrib
> > > and SRC folders.  I don't see one for Mandrake.  Which one of those
> > > folders would be most compatible with Mandrake Linux 10?
> >
> > No official rpms until after the release of 10.1 in the next month or
> > two, they claim to not have the time to do both at once.  Got to wonder
> > where all that Club money went to...
> >
> > A dude known as Thac has produced a set that work pretty well, you can
> > find them at http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS/, use KGet to choose the
> > packages you need (kde, arts, qt, etc).
> >
> > Just be warned it's not a straightforward upgrade, you need to uninstall
> > a few kde packages first, such as some -util packges, and Quanta (now in
> > kdewebdev).
> >
> > It also depends on having the XOrg version of X11 installed, which
> > involves uninstalling XFree by brute force on the command line.
> > Alternatively, you can force it to still use XFree, but again it's a
> > command line thing and you then loose some advanced keyboard
> > functionality.
> >
> > Just be kind on his bandwidth, and don't download unless you are capable
> > of resolving the dependency issues.
> >
> > John.
> >
> > P.S.  Oh, yeah, he doesn't seem to have KDevelop yet...
>
> At this moment im writing from another computer because in the computer i
> installed kde-3.3.0 (thac rpms), the keyboard stops working, and also if
> clicking in some icons applications like for example rpmdrake, doesnt run
> the app, is needed to write the command in the console to run.
> Any help?

Haven't had any keyboard problems like that!  All I can ask is whether you
have Thac's XOrg X11 installed, or the old XFree X11?  The Mdk XFree I'm
using lacks the libxfkb.so.6 (or whatever) that XOrg has, but I haven't had
any problems (but my keybord could be different to yours so who knows).  I
know it's very windows and all, but have you tried re-booting?

I have noticed the occasional refusal to lauch programs from KPanel and KMenu,
but they work fine from the command line (which is no consolation for
you :-).  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it yet, sometimes they
work, sometimes they don't, but I did tell Thac about it.

Ah well, such is life at the bleeding edge :-)

John.